Can you count how many times you forgot your house key someplace? No, of course you can’t. It happened too many times. Keys are one of those things that people forget anywhere. You can leave them at work, at a café, and sometimes inside the house, which is a real bummer because you have to call a locksmith. People have tried all kinds of tricks not to leave their keys someplace or to find them faster. There are even mobile apps to help you. But what I suggest is even better.
Why not change your regular locks for akeypad door lock? It’s a lot easier, you don’t have to worry about losing or misplacing your keys, and you have the best sense of security.
The benefits of a keypad door lock
The advantages of installing a keypad door lock are numerous. Even the little things count because they can make the difference between entering the house and getting some rest after a hard day’s work and you calling a locksmith who takes his time. Here are a few of my favorite benefits.
- ü You can never get yourself locked out of the house – that is the primary reason people install such a lock. It happens more than you would think. That’s like half the business of locksmiths. You can also avoid a lot of uncomfortable situations, like staying outside in your robe or worrying like crazy because you locked yourself out while your baby is still inside.
- ü You never have to worry about losing your key – as long as you remember the passcode, a key becomes obsolete. All you have to do is memorize it, and you are all set. You don’t have to worry about finding your keys constantly. Losing them is out of the question, so it’s lot better to have a keypad door lock than a regular one, isn’t it?
- ü You don’t have to worry about your children losing or misplacing the keys. Some models even allow different passcodes for different family members. As long as your kids learn a passcode, they can enter the house after they come from school or whenever you are not at home. You and I both know that children are in the habit of losing or misplacing even larger items than a key, so a keypad door lock comes in handy.
- ü You no longer have to hide a spare key – hiding a spare key under a rock has become a cliché that burglars love. Yes, it comes in handy at times, like when you forget your key at work or when you need to send someone over to your place to fetch you something, But if a friend can find it, so can a burglar. A keypad door lock is a lot safer than that. Some keypad door locks allow setting more passcodes so you can give one to anyone you want.
- ü Increased security – if you buy a high-quality keypad door lock, your house will be a lot safer than with a conventional lock. A keypad lock is usually pick-proof and bump-proof, depending on which model you buy. Nobody can break it and force their way in. You will feel safer both when you are at home during the night and when you are away.
How to choose the best keypad door lock?
Although it may seem easy to make a choice, keep in mind that there are plenty of models on the market, and not all of the suit your needs. That is why you need to establish some criteria you can use while shopping for one. There are a lot of things to consider, but there are a few that you must never overlook.
- ü Battery life – this is one of the most important aspects to keep in mind. Go for a keypad door lock that has a long battery life. You can still get locked outside your house if the battery runs out. That unless you choose a combination lock and have the key at hand. Otherwise, you still have to call a locksmith. And let me tell you that not even a locksmith can pick such a lock with ease. Also, make sure that the product you choose comes with a light that alerts you when the battery is low. It’s a lot easier that way than guessing whenever you have to change the batteries.
- ü Compatibility – not all keypad door locks are compatible with all doors. Before making a purchase measure the thickness of the door you want to install the lock on. If you have a standard door, then this step is easy because there are plenty of models that are compatible with standard doors.
- ü Ease of installation – if you want to save a few bucks on a locksmith, you can choose a keypad door lock that is very easy to install. Usually, they are all pretty straightforward, but only if you are skilled DIYer. All products come with a manual and everything you need to know, so that part should be easy. However, if you feel like you can’t do a good job, call someone who can. You don’t want to make mistakes.
- ü Coated keypad – you may be wondering why is that so important. Well, are you familiar with those keypads that have a few number erased from too much use? That can happen to your keypad door lock as well. The most used numbers will usually be your passcode, so it’s a lot easier for a stranger to guess it. That does not apply if you change the passcode often, but you never know. A coated keypad will prevent the numbers from being erased. Better to be safe than sorry.
- ü Multiple passcodes – you can create more than one passcode to give your children or your friends if you like. You should also be able to change them without changing the passcodes for the entire family.
- ü Backlight – you may think that this is not very important, but I believe that it is. When it’s dark, you can barely find the keyhole to insert the key, right? The same thing can happen to a keypad. If it’s not lit, how can you possibly see what you’re typing? You need a source of light, like your phone, but why complicate things when a backlit keypad is so much better?
- ü Sturdy construction – you need a keypad door lock that is made of a durable metal, like stainless steel. It has to be pick proof and bump proof, so no matter how hard anyone tries, it should not give in.
What are the best keypad door locks?
If you do a simple search, you will notice that there are plenty of models to choose from. That may prove to be difficult because some people don’t know where to start. My advice is that you follow the criteria I mentioned above, but don’t ignore the reviews. Individuals who have already bought a particular product are the most qualified to tell you if that product works as advertised or not.
Schlage BE365VCAM619 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt
You have probably heard about Schlage before. It is a pretty renowned door locks manufacturer that has brought customer satisfaction to millions of people over the years. The company didn’t start with keypad door locks, but it kept up with the times and began manufacturing smart locks a few years ago.
This model comes with two pre-programmed access codes for immediate use, but you can change them. You can create and delete access codes for your family and friends, but no more than 19 of them. Although, 19 may be a little much. I can’t imagine someone setting so many passcodes. The point is that you have the possibility should you want to.
The installation is very easy and takes a few minutes, especially if you are skilled in these kinds of things. There is no wiring involved. This lock should fit all standard doors, but it wouldn’t hurt to measure your door before making the purchase. The construction is very sturdy, and there is no way of picking or bumping it.
The keypad is silicone-coated so that the numbers will not wear off. Nobody will be able to tell the digits from your passcode. There is also a backlight for easy visibility at night. The 9V battery will last for a very long time, depending on how much traffic there is through the door, but you don’t have to worry you’ll be locked out because there is a low battery indicator that will let you know when it needs to be changed. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
SoHoMiLL YL 99 Keyless Electronic Keypad Lock
The Sohomill lock is a bit different than the previous one. Instead of having the keypad on a panel, the keys are located directly on the knob. It may be very convenient for some people, but mainly, that is a matter of design.
The setup of this lock is very easy. Anyone could do it. The manual is very detailed and will help you during the entire process. There are a master code and several passage codes. You can set up to 8 user codes, but they are all controlled by the master code. No one will be able to do something without you knowing about it. Most importantly, nobody can change the codes except for yourself.
One of the issues people confront with is that they buy a particular lock, but then they realize it does not match with their left or right-hinged door. With the Sohomill you won’t have that issue. It can be installed on both doors without complications. Also, it makes no difference if you want to replace an outdoor lock or an inside lock.
This product also features a low battery warning and a backup battery box jumper. The latter will come in handy if you forget to change the batteries on time. There is also an auto-lock feature that closes the door from outside in three seconds after you enter the house. That will provide maximum security for you and your family. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Kwikset 99130-002 Smart Code 913 UL Electronic Deadbolt with Smart Key
What I appreciate about this lock is that it also has a key. If by any chance, you forget to replace the batteries on time, or if you installed it on a cabin door where you don’t go very often, an actual key will give you some piece of mind. The two AA batterieslast for a very long time anyways, but you never know.
You can customize up to 16 codes. The keypad has 10 backlit and audible digits that will not wear off in time. You change the codes regularly, so it’s not like you have to worry about that too often. The Kwikset features a 30-second auto lock option. That is very useful when you forget to close the door. I always to something, like knocking three times, so I have something to associate with locking the door. Fortunately, this lock will eliminate the wondering. It also has a one-touch locking. All you have to do is push a button, and the door will be secure.
The Kwikset keypad door lock should be able to fit standard doors (1-3/8 – 2 inches thick), but just to be on the safe side, it would be best if you measure your door first. Installation does not require too much effort and is very easy. All you need is a screwdriver. You don’t even have to make new screw holes, and hardwiring is not required. You canwatch a short video on how to do it if you have any trouble. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
After analyzing the three products I just reviewed, I have reached the conclusion that the Kwikset 99130-002 Smart Code 913 UL Electronic Deadbolt with Smart Key is one of the best keypad door locks on the market. It has an actual key, which may come in handy one day, I like the auto lock feature, and it has a sleek design. It would look great on any door.
Keys are one of the easiest items to misplace. Maybe because they are so tiny. But people go crazy when they lose their keys. It’s not that someone may find them and enter your house, but you may be locked on the outside for hours. Nobody is looking forward for that, which is why a keypad door lock may save you a lot of trouble. Click here to buy on Amazon
- What Everyone Is Saying About Keyless Door Lock
- What Everyone Is Saying About Keypad Door Lock Is Dead Wrong and Why
- Techniques for Front Door Locks Only a Few People Know About
- Top Electronic Door Locks Reviews!
- Door Lock – the Story
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Digital Door Lock…The Simple Truth Revealed
- The Keyless Entry Door Lock Cover Up
- What is Actually Happening with Schlage Keypad Lock
- The Chronicles of Automatic Door Lock
- The Rise of Schlage Electronic Lock
- Getting the Best Wifi Door Lock
- The Insider Secret on Door Handle with Lock Exposed
- Entry Door Locks Features
- The New Fuss About Best Keyless Door Locks
- Who Else Is Misleading Us About Schlage Keyless Entry?
- Using Schlage Keyless Locks
- Wireless Door Lock Secrets
- The Fundamentals of Keyless Entry Locks Revealed
- Schlage Keypad Deadbolt at a Glance
- Powerful Techniques for Bedroom Door Lock You Can Use Today
- Keyless Entry Home Explained
- Outrageous Keyless Locks Tips
- Ruthless French Door Locks Strategies Exploited
- The Unexplained Puzzle Into Remote Door Lock
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About Deadbolt Lock Exposed
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Electronic Deadbolt and What You Should Do Today
- The New Angle On Combination Door Lock Just Released
- The Top Secret Truth on Keyless Entry Exposed
- Unanswered Concerns on Best Door Locks
- The Debate Over Electronic Lock
- The Most Incredibly Overlooked Solution for Keyless Deadbolt
- The War Against Electric Door Lock
- The Security Door Locks Diaries
- Top Digital Lock Guide!
- The Most Ignored Answer for Keypad Lock